IVOW: END VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
For women around the world, the struggle against violence is a stark reality. More so with Filipino women who grapple with poverty in a feudal patriarchal context. Indeed, the intensifying economic and political crisis in the country is increasing vulnerability of women to gender-based violence. Gruesome stores of violence committed against women and children have become more common fare in TV, radio, and print media. Most are committed on individual women, but an increasing number involve groups of women in the case of sex trafficking, cybersex, pornography, and prostitution. It is this reason that GABRIELA considers the issue of VAW as its core gender-based campaign.
VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN IS DEFINED AS:
- The use of intimidation, threat, forced or coerced physical, sexual, psychological or emotional abuse against women.
- This may happen or occur inside the home, in the community, or at the hands of the
state or government.
- This is a violation of basic human rights.
1. Invite GABRIELA to your organization to educate your members about violence against women (VAW).
2. Organize! Join the GABRIELA campaign by attending activities, volunteering, or donating resources.
3. Spread the word! Take every opportunity to share knowledge and information on the issue.